Hello, members of District 3,
As we near the end of October, 120 days (or one-third) of our Toastmasters calendar year has passed. How are you doing in terms of your Toastmasters goals? How is your club doing in terms of the Distinguished Club Program (DCP) goals? Do you know how your club is performing?
In this month’s District announcements, I would like to keep you abreast of key highlights within the District (Arizona).
Whether you are a new Toastmaster or a seasoned Toastmaster, knowing what is happening in the District and participating in events outside your club, builds camaraderie, knowledge and confidence as a speaker and as a leader.
I have learned that some members read their emails, some get their news through social media and some get their information from word of mouth. Please share this information with your club members.
The mission of the district is to build new clubs and support all clubs in achieving excellence.
October Renewals as of 10/26/19
- 190 clubs renewed meeting the minimum # of payments (8).
Education Achievements from 7/1/19 thru 10/26/19
- 569 education achievement awards have been submitted
- 12 Distinguished Toastmasters (DTM) awards have been submitted
- Recognition of these members will be at the 2020 District 3 Spring Conference (May 15 – 16 at the Harrah’s Ak-Chin Casino Resort in Maricopa, AZ) Please make your reservations now. Go to https://d3-toastmasters.ticketleap.com/2020-spring-conference/
- NOTE: There are many members who may not be aware that they have opted out of having their names displayed in District reports. Hence, your name is not displayed (unavailable). Only, your member number is displayed. Toastmasters International WHQ does not have a tool or a report to tell us the name of the member. Instead, it is up to the District to find out. You can change this by logging into www.toastmasters.org and clicking on your profile. Click on ‘Edit contact information and privacy’, ‘My Privacy and Consents’ and ‘Your Name on Public Reports’. Change to ‘Yes’. Then, ‘Save Privacy and Consents’.
Distinguished Club Program (DCP) Goals Achieved from 7/1/19 thru 10/26/19
- 27 clubs have achieved 5 or more DCP goals.
- For those clubs with less than 5 DCP goals please challenge your club to achieve 5 DCP goals by the end of January 2020.
- Contact Peter Salazar firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
- To find out how your club is performing, go to the following link: http://dashboards.toastmasters.org/Club.aspx?id=03
The District 3 2018 – 2019 Awards
At the annual District 3 awards celebration that was held at the Great Wolf Lodge in Scottsdale, AZ on 9/28/19, the following members were recognized for their dedication, commitment and contributions in helping the District meet its mission during the 2018 – 2019 year:
|Mike DiCerbo Excellence in Mentoring Award||Curtis Henson|
|Bob and Betty Gillis Youth Leadership Award||Jeannie Enders|
|Art Nieto Excellence in Clubs Award||Trish Blackwelder|
|Russ Backus Distinguished Service Award||Hallie Adams|
|Outstanding Committee Chair||Randy Casarez|
|Outstanding Area Director||Kristy Hopper|
|Outstanding Division Director||David Hopper|
|District 3 Outstanding Toastmaster of the Year||Kristin Gramando|
NEW: New Member Incentive
Submit a new member application (first page only) between November 1, 2019 and March 1, 2020 to email@example.com to earn a $25 Toastmasters International gift certificate. Your club can earn up to $125!
NEW: Train the Trainer
Seeking volunteers to be trainers, facilitators and assistants at club officer training aka Toastmasters Leadership Institute (TLI). Do you have an affinity to helping others learn? Here is a great opportunity for you to develop or enhance your facilitation skills and to gain confidence speaking in front of a larger audience?
Contact DJ Reed at TLI@aztoastmasters.org
|11/2/19||1:00 PM – 3:00 PM||Copper Point, 3030 N 3rd Street, Phoenix, AZ 8th flr|
|After January 1, 2020|| |
Tucson – Venue to be determined
NEW: Club Officer Training, Round 2, Coming Soon!
The second round of club officer training is between November 1 and February 28. All Districts must train club officers twice per year. Clubs with officers attending training receive credit toward the training goal in the Distinguished Club Program (DCP).
Save the date for the upcoming club officer training:
|12/14/19||Scottsdale||Great Wolf Lodge, 7333 N Pima Rd|
|1/11/20||East Valley||Location to be confirmed|
|2/1/20||West Valley||Location to be confirmed|
|2/8/20||Tucson||Fountain of Life Church, 710 S Kolb Rd|
NEW: Toastmasters Fast Track
Toastmasters International will be rolling out a Public Speaking Fast Track. This online learning course will feature instructional videos and an interactive way to learn and grow. The goal of Fast Track is simple—to bring new prospects to Toastmasters and, ultimately, convert them into members. It’s for people who might need help with public-speaking skills but aren’t ready to commit to joining a club. To learn more, click or tap the link & watch this video: http://www.toastmasters.org/resources/toastmasters-fast-track
NEW: Speech Contest
There will be two speech contests for 2020 (Tall Tales and International). Clubs will select their own contest dates. Once the Area and Division contest dates have been identified, they will be communicated to everyone. However, the District contest dates have been determined. The following contest dates are to be used as a guide:
- Club speech contests will begin after January 1, 2020.
- Area speech contests will be in February and March.
- Division speech contests will be in April.
- District speech contests will be on May 15 – 16, 2020 at Harrah’s Ak-Chin Casino & Resort, Maricopa, AZ.
- For 2020, the District will not be allowing two contestants to advance from club to area, from area to division and/or from division to district; in hopes, that each club send their best contestant or representative to the area speech contests.
2020 Spring Conference
District 3 Spring Conference will be on Friday & Saturday, May 15 – 16, 2020 at Harrah’s Ak-Chin Casino & Resort, Maricopa, AZ. Register now for early bird special pricing for full conference package, $139 (offer ends 12/31 11:59 PM). Go to https://d3-toastmasters.ticketleap.com/2020-spring-conference/.
Club Coach Program
Are you interested in being a club coach to help a club build membership and achieve excellence?
Coaches who help clubs achieve Distinguished status or higher in the Distinguished Club Program will receive credit in the education program and a certificate of accomplishment.
If a club coach role is successfully completed on June 30, 2020, your club coach credit can count toward both the club support and the district leadership requirements for an ALS or a DTM award.
Contact Kristy Hopper at firstname.lastname@example.org
Are you interested in helping form new clubs or start a new club? Contact Nancy Duckett at email@example.com
Show Club Pride and share your enthusiasm for what makes your club successful. Clubs will receive Club Pride Points (CPPs) for participating. Clubs may collect CPPs in (4) AREAS: Training, Membership, Education and Service. All Club Pride Points (CPPs) will be awarded to Clubs, not individual members. Contact Marie Maddox for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are you interested in speaking opportunities outside your club? Join the District 3 Speakers Bureau! Contact Hannellie Mendoza at email@example.com.
Are you interested in helping young people under the age of 18 to develop their communication and leadership skills? Contact Lucinda McNeil at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Podcast: Grand Canyon Echoes
District 3 has a podcast called Grand Canyon Echoes: GrandCanyonEchoes.podbean.com.
You can download episodes or search for it using your favorite podcast app. Contact Don Griffith at email@example.com if you have suggestions for topics or would like to be recorded.
Thank you for your time and all you do to help Toastmasters District 3! I look forward to seeing you at an upcoming District event!
Jim Eng, DTM
2019-2020 District Director