Hello, fellow Toastmasters!
As I have completed my first 30 days as your elected 2019 – 2020 District Director, I would like to take this opportunity to share some highlights from our 2018 – 2019 Toastmasters year, to reflect on our progress and what’s in store in the days and months ahead.
This is an exciting time for District 3!
- We have two clubs chartered (Chopper Talkers & Sparklight Toastmasters) in the month of July.
- We have a backlog of prospective clubs to be chartered.
- We have a new District leadership team consisting of Peter Salazar – Program Quality Director, David Hopper – Club Growth Director, Beatriz Herrera – District Finance Manager, Lisa Raymond – District Public Relations Manager, Rose Swearingen – District Administration, Tim Swearingen – Parliamentarian, 9 Division Directors (Angelina Beaudry, Sue Delap, Barbara Schumacher, Curtis Henson, Jeannette Cannon, Connie Weiss, Edwin Weston, Karen Hewitt & Franklin Jayasim) and 45 Area Directors.
- We have a revitalized District Toastmasters Leadership Institute (TLI) club officer training.
- We have Pathways support led by Trish Blackwelder.
- We have FREE money give-away in Toastmasters International gift certificates by participating in the club success plan campaign, the club membership & guest packet challenge, and the club proxy challenge.
I am confident with this team and your support; we will make District 3 a Distinguished District for 2019 – 2020.
How are we are going to be a Distinguished District?
- Unleash the full potential within you to work together
- Never give up!
- Maintain a positive attitude!
- Say ‘YES’!
- Surround yourself with Super Toastmasters!
- Act within Toastmasters’ core values of integrity, respect, service, and excellence during the conduct of all Toastmasters activities!
Highlights of 2018-2019:
- 109 out of 219 clubs were Distinguished or better
- 12 clubs were chartered
- 375+ attendees registered for the 2019 Spring Conference
Highlights of 2019 – 2020:
Club Pride Survey: Extended to 8/15/19
Club Pride wants your feedback! Please click on the image in the email or click on the Quick Links “Club Pride Survey” on aztoastmasters.org. Take a few minutes to tell us your thoughts about Club Pride!
Outstanding Toastmaster of the Year (OTMOTY) Award: Extended to 8/30/19
There will be an outstanding toastmaster of the year award for each of the 47 area’s, each of the 9 Division’s and one for the District. There will be an outstanding Area Director and an outstanding Division Director award. There will be many other awards presented to recognize those members who have made significant contributions to District 3. Please download the application from aztoastmasters.org and email to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can self-nominate and nominate someone else.
Club Proxies for Toastmasters International Annual Business Meeting
CLUB PRESIDENTS & CLUB SECRETARIES: Your vote is important at the Annual Business Meeting. Clubs have the privilege to vote to elect international officers and directors to the 2019-2020 Board of Directors as well as vote on Proposals A through L. Assign your club proxies by August 18, 2019 for a chance to win FREE money (TI gift certificate – $10, $25, $50 & $75). The goal is to have 85% of clubs participate. Winners to be announced after the International Convention.
September District Council Meeting (Virtual)
SEPTEMBER 9, 2019 (7:00 PM)
The District Council holds two meetings during the year. One of the required meetings is held in-person during the spring conference. The other required meeting will be on September 9th, which will be a virtual meeting. This meeting is to conduct all business of the district.
District leaders, Club Presidents & Vice Presidents of Education: please save the date! The goal is to have a quorum to conduct business. More information to come.
September Soiree (formerly the July Jubilee)
September 28, 2019 (5:00 PM – 11:00 PM)
Open to ALL! Please save the date. An evening to celebrate our 2018 – 2019 achievements and to recognize our outstanding Toastmasters & district leaders at the area, division and district levels, and more! More information to come.
Club Packet Challenge
Submit your club’s membership and guest packet by 8/31/19 to email@example.com. Top three in each category will be selected to earn TI gift certificate (1stplace – $100, 2nd place – $50 and 3rd place – $25)
Club Coach Program
Grow as a leader and help another club. Clubs with 12 or fewer members qualify to receive up to two club coaches to help revive and invigorate them. For more details, see attached flyer.
Club Success Plan Campaign
Submit a club success plan by 9/30/19 to Cheri Foschi at firstname.lastname@example.org to receive a $10 TI gift certificate.
New Club Forming: Audible Talkers Toastmasters
First in the nation to sponsor a Toastmasters club for the hard of hearing. Looking for charter members. Meetings held at the Tempe Public Library on the first and third Monday of each month from 6 pm to 7 pm. Contact Harry Wolfe for more information at email@example.com.
Members Making A Difference
District 3 is always looking for members willing to step up and help in any committee; such as, Toastmasters Leadership Institute, Spring Conference, District Leadership (Area Director, Assistant to the Area Director, Division Director, Assistant to the Division Director) Club Pride, Speech Contests, Judging, club coaching, club mentoring, web team. Volunteers play a critical role in Toastmasters.
If you would like to learn more or would be willing to help, please contact Jim Eng at DD@aztoastmasters.org
Thank you for your time, I appreciate it!
Jim Eng, DTM
2019-2020 District Director