Personal and professional success is influenced by one’s ability to effectively communicate and lead others as we face the endless exchange of ideas, messages, and information day after day. Through active participation in Toastmasters meetings, our members receive the benefits of improved communication and leadership skills. Toastmasters training leads to increased effectiveness and productivity by helping people:
- give better presentations
- improve management skills
- work cooperatively and collaboratively
- increase effectiveness at developing and presenting their ideas
- effectively offer constructive feedback
- accept feedback more objectively and know how to take action to improve
Becoming a Member
Becoming a member is as easy – just say “Yes, I want to join” when you’ve found the right club for you. For a nominal membership fee, you too can be on your way to finding your voice and unleashing your communication and leadership potential.
Within a few weeks of joining, your New Member Kit will arrive from Toastmasters International. The kit will have your first communication manual of speech projects for you to prepare and present to your fellow club members. The kit will also include your first leadership manual of meeting and club activities that help you develop as a leader. You may work simultaneously on both manuals.
Once a month, you will receive The Toastmaster magazine full of helpful articles on improving your speech projects, leadership opportunities, member success stories, as well as information about upcoming events like the annual World Championship of Public Speaking. The Toastmaster is a greater source for all members, so be sure to take a look through each issue.
Each new member is also given a copy of the “The Toastmasters Promise” which helps set the expectations for you as a member:
As a member of Toastmasters International and my club, I promise…
- To attend club meetings regularly;
- To prepare all of my speeches to the best of my ability, basing them on projects in the Communication and Leadership Program manual or the Advanced Communication and Leadership Program manuals;
- To prepare for and fulfill meeting assignments;
- To provide fellow members with helpful, constructive evaluations;
- To help the club maintain the positive, friendly environment necessary for all members to learn and grow;
- To serve my club as an officer when called upon to do so;
- To treat my fellow club members and our guests with respect and courtesy;
- To bring guests to club meetings so they can see the benefits Toastmasters membership offers;
- To adhere to the guidelines and rules for all Toastmasters educational and recognition programs;
- To maintain honest and highly ethical standards during the conduct of all Toastmasters activities.
Toastmasters International dues are a mere $45 for a six month membership term. In addition, there is a one-time New Member Kit Fee of $20 to cover materials shipped from Toastmasters International. Due to meeting facility costs and/or additional member programs and materials, some clubs also have Club Dues. Be sure to ask about Club Dues when visiting a Toastmasters Club.